If you urgently need any of the treatments available through the ToxBox service then call VPIS on 020 7188 0200 *
We also have an additional list of practices that are willing to supply some or all of these treatments in an emergency. Contact us for details.
* Standard VPIS consult fee applies
The VPIS has teamed up with Vets Now to bring you the potentially life saving ToxBox 24-Hour Service. This new service gives veterinary practices 24 hour access to drugs and products used in the emergency treatment of poisoning that they are most likely to need, but least likely to stock.
How does the ToxBox service work?
Specific drugs and products used to treat poisoning (listed below) are kept in stock at 16 selected Vets Now clinics across the UK. Veterinary practices urgently requiring these treatments can now call the VPIS (Standard VPIS consult fee applies) and be directed to their closest stock, where they can be purchased immediately.
The service is available 24 hours a day and callers do not need to be a Vets Now Member Practice to use the service.
Which treatments are available for purchase?
- Activated charcoal – 1 litre slurry preparation
- Apomorphine – 2ml vial
- European viper venom antiserum
- Fresh frozen plasma
- Methocarbamol (Robaxin®) – 750mg tablets (a centrally acting muscle relaxant useful for permethrin and metaldehyde poisoning amongst others)
- Acetylcysteine – 10ml vial (the antidote for paracetamol toxicity)
- Vitamin K1 – 1ml injectable and 50mg tablets
- Intralipid® – 100ml and 500ml bag of 20% solution – a new treatment for lipophilic and cardiotoxic poisons